Tom joined Toshiba five years ago and currently oversees all product related environmental issues and legislation for the consumer products business across Europe.
Within this role he is responsible for the integration of WEEE & RoHS processes, re-design and awareness with in the UK head office and the European subsidiaries.
He started off on a one-month, rolling contract and then was appointed to the position of environmental engineer 10 months later when the UK office decided it needed a person dedicated to this role. In 2003 Tom’s role grew to encompass all consumer products.
Tom’s career highlights to date include:
- Overseeing the recycling of expanded polystyrene packaging. This type of packaging is used to ship components and Toshiba receives a lot of it at its Plymouth factory! A 100% of this packaging is now recycled at a cost saving of £40,000 a year
- Developed and rolled out all the approved processes for monitoring compliance with RoHS, ensuring Toshiba’s sales of items in all European regions comply with RoHS
- Ensuring all European sales offices across 24 regions comply and register with the local laws of the WEEE directive
- Overseeing all environmental audits for Toshiba’s major factories and supplier factories
- Setting up recycling systems for products in the UK