Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Tech companies: it’s time to exploit the green shoppers

pcinside.jpg

If you work in tech, it’s time to put on your smug hat. If you work in green tech, it’s time to put on your smug hat, smug jumpsuit and flashing ‘I’m smug’ light-up tie, for Bill Cobourn, global & U.S. technology leader and partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers says: “The growing demand for environmental products and services could translate into one of the biggest new markets in recent memory. Technology companies can exploit this opportunity to drive growth, but they must ensure their green initiatives are in line with their business strategy.”

And oddly enough, a lot of tech execs agree, with a survey by PWC finding that 40 percent of technology executives claim the green movement creates significant market opportunities for their companies. Lucky tech execs. Greenbang wonders what the other 60 percent think though?

According to the survey, 60 percent of technology manufacturers are developing green products and services, compared to only 33 percent of non-manufacturers.

Couldn’t be the same 60 percent could it? A very schizophrenic 60 percent? Of course not, why, that would be silly.

Here’s some more tech related gubbins from PWC’s report:

Technology manufacturers are taking aggressive steps to expand their portfolio of green products and services by pursuing energy efficiency, implementing designs that reduce or eliminate the use of hazardous materials, using recycled or recyclable materials, building products that last longer, and creating packaging that meets or exceeds global environmental standards. A growing focus on reducing the weight of products and improving their capacity for recycling is also helping manufacturers better address “end of life” issues such as the recovery and disposal of products that have run their course.

The green movement also presents software and service-oriented technology companies with sizeable growth opportunities. The need for green technology consulting services and software aimed at helping organizations conduct business virtually to reduce travel and thus the carbon footprint will increase substantially in the coming years.

“The pendulum swing towards green technology is unleashing a creative disruption within the global technology market. The pressure is on for companies to respond quickly, make the most of new opportunities and manage their own environmental risk,” added Cobourn.

1 Comment

  • Gordon
    Posted February 14, 2008 at 7:39 pm

    It is not time to smug at all!
    Green business is more about corporate social responsibility and the link to environmental sustainability.
    In the end consumers will drive companies and corporates to realign their business stratagies. It will be a case of adapt or die.

Comments are closed.

The Global View creates and curates research, perspectives and intelligence on the modern leader’s agenda.

Subscribe Now

Get our latest research papers and amazing posts directly in your email.

Loading

The   Global view © 2022. All Rights Reserved.